By now, you’ve probably read about Pitch Perfect star Rebel Wilson’s weight loss.
The Australian actress has been losing weight with the Mayr Method Diet. Since she declared 2020 to be her “year of health”, she has been making steady progress toward losing weight and getting healthier.
If you’re curious if the Mayr Method can work for you, read on to find out all the details.
What is the Mayr Method Diet?
The Mayr Method was created almost 100 years ago by Dr. Franz Xaver Mayr, an Austrian physician.
Mayr created the program based on the belief that people damage their digestive systems with what they eat and how they eat. So by cleaning up your act as far as gut health, you can be healthier and lose weight.
Dr. Mayr believed that by changing our normal diet and practicing fasting regularly, we can achieve greater health.
For a program that’s been around nearly 100 years, I was surprised that I’d never heard of it.
The Mayr Method Explained
The Mayr Diet focuses on what you eat and how you eat it. The basic tenets of this program involve eating an alkaline diet, eliminating certain foods, increasing your mindfulness around mealtimes, and chewing your food thoroughly.
The Mayr Method Foods & Nutrition
This aspect of the program focuses on good gut health. If you’ve been around here for a while, you know that gut health is SO important to overall health. A good gut health diet is the cornerstone of living a healthy, active life.
While some of the things outlined in this diet may seem restrictive, many do make sense from a gut health standpoint.
- Eliminating sugar, caffeine, and alcohol: Sugar, caffeine, and alcohol are no-no’s for this program, so the Mayr method kicks off by eliminating these offenders. Considering a sugar and/or caffeine detox isn’t a bad idea, especially if you are eating a ton of simple sugars and are constantly having to have a cup of coffee to get through your afternoon.
- Eating a diet composed of whole foods that are highly alkaline. An alkaline diet is one that includes alkaline foods like broccoli and acidic ones like lemons that promote alkalinity in your body.
- Eliminating dairy and gluten.
- Eliminating snacking throughout the day which lets your digestive system rest between meals.
- Eating breakfast. Which means eliminating dinner if you’re intermittent fasting.
- No raw foods after 4 pm at night.
- No drinking with meals. Consume all beverages between meals.
Mayr Method Breakfast
This method encourages you to eat your largest meal at breakfast, a smaller meal at lunch and an even smaller meal at dinner. So if you’re a breakfast lover, this program may be worth a try for you.
If you are incorporating intermittent fasting into your plan, you will need to switch your schedule so you eat breakfast and skip dinner.
Mindful Eating and Awareness
An important part of the Mayr method involves improving your awareness of food, being mindful while eating, and thoroughly chewing each bite. You’ll need to stick to these guidelines if you want to follow the Mayr diet method:
- Never eat on the go. Stop, sit down and savor every bite.
- Eat slowly.
- Stop eating when you feel full.
- Eliminate distractions while eating. This means no TV, no cell phone, no reading. Nothing to distract you from being fully present and mindful during meals.
Mayr Method Chewing
One particularly unique aspect of this program involves chewing each bite of food at least 40 times. Not only does chewing start the digestive process, but it has been studied and shown to help you eat fewer calories.
Since you shouldn’t be distracted with anything during meals, you’ll be able to focus on spending your time counting each and every chew.
Can I Lose Weight with the Mayr Method Diet?
If you have several thousand dollars to spend (not including airfare or hotel!), you may want to check out the luxury Austrian resort/spa called the “Viva Mayr” that caters to the rich and famous who want to lose weight and improve their health.
The website is full of interesting treatments like nasal reflexology, intermittent hypoxic & hyperoxic training, and cryotherapy, which explains part of the steep price tag.
Thankfully, if you’re interested in the Mayr diet, you don’t have to spend big bucks at a European health spa. The Vaya Mayr resort published a book you can get on Amazon that outlines the process and promises “14 days to a flatter stomach and a younger you!”
This Mayr Method diet book includes a 14-day diet plan and recipes to help you get started.
The Takeaway: Is the Mayr Method Healthy?
Always talk to your doctor before you make any change to your diet or health plan.
Since the Mayr program focuses on methods that are proven to improve your overall health like intermittent fasting, improving your gut health, and increasing your awareness and focus at mealtime, it shouldn’t be harmful. Again, always speak to your health professional before you start any health program.
I’ve never tried the Mayr method, but aside from counting my chewing, I don’t think it would be too far outside my wheelhouse since I already love intermittent fasting and gut health topics.
If I had an extra couple thousand dollars lying around, I wouldn’t hate checking into a luxury Austrian spa for a few days to check out the program in person.
I’d love to hear your take on the program if you’ve tried it. If you’d like to improve your health without jumping on the Mayr bandwagon, check out these resource libraries for more information on gut health and intermittent fasting: